Short grey strands are the foundation for so many trendy styles right now! Vivify and energize your look with one of the trendy short grey hairstyles on our list. Shake off tired, outdated styles and get inspired to embrace something cute, trendy, and fresh with your silver-toned strands!
What Are the Most Trendy Short Grey Hairstyles?
- Focus on texture – sleek, curly, wavy, or voluminous
- Try bangs or face-framing layers to make any short style trendy
- Opt for modern soft, blended layers over choppy, shaggy layers
Short grey hairstyles have a ton of variety — ultra-short crops and pixies, long pixies and pixie bobs, and chin-length to midi-length bobs. Making your short hairstyle trendy might mean making a couple tweaks to the way you style it or starting fresh with a new, modern cut!
The elements in today’s trendy hairstyles work really well with short, grey strands. From bold textures and flattering long bangs to softly blended layers that create lively movement throughout strands, it’s easy to work these style elements into your current look.
And if you’re really itching for a change, there are tons of cute short haircuts currently trending and ready to inspire you! Right now, texture is a big deal with curly and wavy styles topping the popularity charts.
Natural curls, perms, and loose waves created with curling irons or waving irons are all the rage. But if you’re rocking naturally straight strands, you can focus on creating a super-sleek texture with the right products and tools or going the big, voluminous route to bring your strands to life.
Bangs and face-framing layers are also very trendy at the moment. If you’re a fan of the symmetrical middle part, split French bangs and bottleneck bangs are an instant way to update and upgrade your short hairstyle.
Long, feathery bangs and short face-framing layers are other trendy options that are universally flattering on all face shapes. To lend a little more movement and swing to your short grey hairstyles, consider getting layers. But not just any type of layers will do!
You’ll want to focus on soft, blended layers that are sliced in at an angle and avoid the heavy, choppy layers of yesteryear to give your mane the most modern look.
You can have a lot of fun with trendy short grey hairstyles when you know what elements to add in and which ones to toss out. Say goodbye to frumpy, outdated strands that feel more schoolmarm than hot mama. Say hello to fun, energetic looks that elevate and upgrade your style with a few simple tweaks!
You Might Also Like:
- The 20 Best Hairstyles for Women Over 70 in 2022
- 30 Trendy Hairstyle for Women Over 40
- The 30 Best Hairstyles for Women Over 50 in 2022
20 Trendy Short Grey Hairstyles for 2022
Take a look at 20 of our favorite trendy short grey hairstyles below. We’ve chosen cute options for all short lengths, from the shortest crops to longer bobs that skim the shoulders.
If you’re thinking about switching things up and modernizing your look, you’ll find all the inspiration you need right here!
1. Layered Curly Bob With Bangs
Curls – natural or permed – are very trendy right now and make styling amazingly simple. This curly, youthful look is a breath of fresh air for grey strands!
Layered length ensures the curl pattern is allowed to pop and curve down the length of the bob for maximum texture and interest. Short bangs put your eyes front and center and really flatter square and oval face shapes.
2. Flipped Out Midi Bob
Flipped-out ends are trendy again and with easy-breezy short layers at the ends, this look is a cinch to manage and style. Add bangs for a little youthifying interest in the front or opt for soft, face-framing layers that skim your cheekbones.
3. Casually Side-Swept Pixie
If you lean toward casual, carefree styles that don’t require a ton of time, a pixie cut with extra length on the top and sides is ideal. Keeping the back short with softly tapered length down the sides gives you a little more length to play around with on top. Sweep it over to the side and down across the forehead for a simple, everyday look.
4. Short Wavy Bob With Micro Bangs
Trendy waves and micro bangs make this style one of our favorite short grey hairstyles. Wrap 1-2” sections once or twice around the barrel of a curling iron, then tug on each curl while it’s hot to create the waves. Smooth your short bangs over to the side and pinch the ends with a touch of pomade or wax to create a piece-y texture.
5. Collapsed Bob With Face-Framing Layers
Tapered length that hits near the jawline is ideal to pair with a side part, volume on top, and softly layered strands around the face.
This collapsed bob is lightweight with the bulk taken out of the ends, making it a great choice for thick hair that tends to form a triangular shape at the ends. Feather the bangs back lightly and curve them away from your face for a flattering touch!
6. Tousled Short Crop
When you’re rocking super-short grey strands, you can minimize the effort and maximize the energy with a tousled crop. Short length means less styling, but you can give this cut a trendy look by bringing strands forward from the crown and over to the side down a diagonal side part.
7. Lob With Face-Framing Layers
Grey hair looks super trendy in a lob – a slightly longer version of a bob – complete with graduated layers around the face and a bold middle part. The ends are point-cut to remove bulk and flipped up for a trendy style.
8. Curly Bob With Clipped-Up Bangs
Rock voluminous ringlets with a casual, everyday style that keeps your bangs out of your face all day! Grab a cute, small jaw clip and twist your bangs up and away from your face. Clip them into place and spritz with a little setting spray to help them stay put in this trendy style!
9. Volume-Boosted Long Pixie
If you’re rocking a long pixie, you have so much freedom to try out different styles to totally transform your look. For a quick, glam look, try pumping up the volume in the length on top with volumizing powder at the roots and a little root-lifting spray.
Arrange your hair in a deep side part and bring the lifted top down and back over the crown for a gorgeous look that requires surprisingly little effort.
10. Airy Tousled Side-Swept Pixie
Styling a pixie to the side takes on a messy, tousled look when you use your fingers to muss up the texture a bit. A small amount of texturizing mousse is all you need to create a lived-in, casual texture for a grey pixie that looks trendy!
11. Short Pixie Bob With Blended Layers
Pixie bobs give you a little more length on top than a traditional pixie cut, which makes tons of trendy styles possible! Create a side part and work a little lightweight mousse into your hair while it’s damp for extra control without the stiffness of gel. Feather the sides back for an easy-breezy look that feels as light and airy as it looks!
12. Sleek Inverted Midi Bob With Shadow Root
Amp up your grey color with a dark shadow root that seamlessly blends out into your rich, silvery tone. A midi bob that hits at the neck and hangs just past the shoulders in front (inverted bob) is super trendy and perfect for showing off your gorgeous color.
13. Messy Pixie Faux Hawk
Show off your edgy side with a short pixie cut styled in a trendy faux hawk! Medium-short length on top tapers cleanly into shorter length down the back and sides. Bring the length on top toward the middle with a little medium-hold gel to form a cute and energizing faux hawk.
14. Chin-Length Bob With Feathered Bangs
Chin-length bobs can bring a touch of youth and movement to short grey hair and are such a versatile choice. Style it with a side part and lightly feathered side bangs to give it a simple, casual look as shown. Bangs that skim your cheekbones will be super-flattering on all face shapes!
15. Sleek Long Pixie Styled Forward
Make a long pixie feel new again by bringing the length forward from the crown instead of parting it to the side. Sliced layers through the top give the resulting bangs a trendy, piece-y look that naturally separates and forms curvy tendrils across the forehead. Brush the sides and back down to keep the look sleek.
16. Side-Swept Short Pixie Crop
Keep it simple and sensational with an ultra-short pixie crop that allows your best features to shine. This style has just enough length to brush the top down and over to the side for a quick statement look that will become your signature style. Use a little pomade on the tips of your fingers to create a messy, tousled texture on top.
17. Messy Lixie Cut
The “lixie” – long pixie – is such a cute, trendy option for short grey hair. This version of the much-loved pixie cut leaves more length on the back and sides to create some extra texture and give you more length to style. Brush the back and sides downward with your fingers, then mess up the top with a little mousse while it’s damp to create this look.
18. Smudged Root Pixie With Long Bangs
Want the convenience of trendy short hair with the stylability of a longer bob? Opt for a pixie cut with long bangs! A darker smudged root adds dimension and depth to grey tones.
And the long bangs can be styled with a side part, pushed back, in a voluminous quiff, or pinned back to create tons of trendy looks. Add volume to the crown with light teasing and root-lifting spray for the most impact.
19. Voluminous Curly Layered Bob
Take natural curls or a fresh perm to a new level with a layered bob and tons of volume. Use your favorite curl cream or mousse to lock in your curl pattern and shape, then create a side part before diffusing dry or clipping up to air dry. Direct the front section back slightly to keep strands out of your face and set with a little hairspray.
20. Sleek Short Bob With Blunt Bangs
Tucking the ends under with a curling iron or round brush while you blow dry elevates a short bob easily. Blunt bangs give it a trendy vibe, while the short length makes it easy to manage and style. Keep it sleek with anti-frizz serum and follow up with a flat iron if needed.
Style Tips and Things to Consider
Now that you’ve got some inspiration and cute styles to work into your repertoire, we have some helpful styling tips and considerations for you! These tips will make doing trendy short grey hairstyles so much simpler.
- Work with the right tools. Creating today’s trendy styles means having the right tools and equipment at your disposal. For perfect curls and waves (or touching up natural/permed curls), you need a great curling iron. We love Beachwaver tools and they have rotating curling irons that make styling so much easier! If you want to protect your hair from damage and get the best results, splurge on the Dyson Airwrap styler. It dries, curls, straightens, or smoothes your hair depending on the attachment you pop on. Make sure you’ve got a fine-toothed comb for teasing and a wide-toothed comb for fluffing/volume, too.
- Build out your product arsenal. If it seems like you can’t recreate some of your favorite trendy short grey hairstyles no matter what you try, you’re probably using the wrong products. Fine, flat hair needs volumizing mousse, root-lifting spray, and/or powder to build volume. Wavy and curly hair need curl-boosting, texturizing products that fight frizz and introduce plenty of moisture (anti-frizz serum, curl cream, and moisturizing creams/serums). Grab some dry shampoo to soak up oil and add grit to make styles stay put longer. Switch to a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner to soften strands and prevent damage.
- Make a habit of studying up on the latest trends. The funny thing about trendy hairstyles is that they change frequently! If you want to stay up to date on the latest trends, find a few influencers you like on Instagram or TikTok and follow their updates. You’ll find that there are tons of mature women posting their favorite looks and styles if you’re not interested in following the same trends as 20-somethings.
- Find a few styles that don’t require hot tools. So many trendy styles require heat to create, so it’s essential that you find some that don’t for your hair’s sake. If you love creating curls or waves with a curling iron, you might get a perm to reduce that daily heat damage. Embrace your natural texture with air-dried heatless styles you can rock without curling, flat ironing, or blow drying. Your strands will thank you for it!
- Use accessories for quick, trendy looks. One of our favorite tricks for instantly upgrading a basic hairstyle: Cute accessories! You can add different types of clips, barrettes, scarves, headbands, and even trendy hats to elevate a simple style. Build a collection of pretty accessories you like so you always have cute options on-hand!
Trendy short grey hairstyles are some of the most versatile looks around. You might like an ultra-short, side-swept crop with lightly tousled texture.
Maybe you’re digging the way a trendy pixie bob with ribbon waves and cheekbone-skimming bangs looks. Or perhaps you’ll be teetering on the line between short and medium length with a softly layered midi bob!
Keeping up with the latest looks can seem a little exhausting, especially if you’ve been rocking the same style for a while. If you keep it simple, you’ll find that the most trendy short grey hairstyles all have similar elements in common.
If you work in some of these elements, you’ll instantly create cute, modern styles that energize and invigorate your look. Bold texture, whether it’s sleek and straight, loose and wavy, bouncy and curly, or big and voluminous, is key.
Something to frame your face – bangs or short face-framing layers – will make any short hairstyle a little trendier. And working in soft, blended layers throughout your strands will give your mane an updated, feminine look.
Whether you’re rocking silvery strands as short as possible or hanging onto a little more length with a long pixie or midi bob, you’re going to have a blast experimenting with today’s trendy styles. Who knows? You just might find your new signature look!