We’ve been hearing a lot about Headquarters shampoo, conditioner, and hair care products lately.
Since this relatively new brand is taking off so quickly, we decided to round up Headquarters shampoo reviews to find out if this company’s products actually live up to the hype.
Take a look at our review roundup to learn about Headquarters shampoo and other products (conditioner, scalp exfoliation scrubs, and leave-in serums), find out where you can purchase their products, and see honest Headquarters shampoo reviews.
Is it worth it to switch to Headquarters shampoo or give these products a try? We’ll find out by getting to the root of these hair care products to see what real customers think about their results.
What Is Headquarters Shampoo?
Headquarters shampoo and other products are scalp-focused hair care made by Harry’s Labs. While Harry’s caters to men’s grooming and personal care, Headquarters caters to women with different scalp and hair care needs.
Headquarters calls itself “root obsessed” and they really mean it. Their entire line of hair care products are designed to get to the root of different hair issues by targeting the health of the scalp.
To Headquarters, a healthy scalp always translates into softer, more balanced, healthier hair. Headquarters makes a range of hair care products customized for different hair and scalp types.
Their mission is to provide products that cover all 4 steps of a healthy hair and scalp care routine: Exfoliating pre-shampoo scrubs, shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in products.
We’ll look at a complete list of their products in just a bit. Unlike most hair care companies, Headquarters makes hair care products for the different scalp types – oily, dry, and combination – instead of hair types.
In their view, your hair can’t grow healthy and strong if your scalp’s out of sync with dryness, excess oil, or a little of both.
While many hair care products target already-dead hair, Headquarters targets the living scalp to improve overall hair health, texture, oiliness/dryness, softness, and shine. And as Headquarters shampoo reviews show, customers are really loving the results of this unique approach.
Headquarters products are exclusively sold at Walmart. Since there are over 4,700 Walmart locations in the U.S., Headquarters’ Walmart-only products are easily accessible and can be bought in-store or online.
With that in mind, let’s take a look at all the different products Headquarters makes and who each product line is for.
Headquarters Hair Care Product List
Headquarters offers 3 color-coded lines of custom hair and scalp care based on your scalp type: Dry, combination, or oily. Each line contains 4 product steps for a complete scalp and hair care routine.
You start with the pre-shampoo exfoliating scalp scrub, use the pH-balanced shampoo and conditioner, and follow up with the leave-in product for your scalp type.
Sounds pretty easy, right? Note that every single Headquarters product you’ll see below is made with absolutely zero sulfates, parabens, silicones, alcohols, and dyes.
Basically, if it has the potential to harm or strip your hair, Headquarters doesn’t put it in their products. These products are also cruelty-free and vegan. Here’s a look at all the products they offer for each scalp type.
For Dry Scalps
The pink color indicates products in the dry scalp care line. The dry scalp products have a peony and coconut scent. Here’s a closer look at these 4 moisturizing products from Headquarters.
- Soothing Scalp Exfoliating Mask: Contains gentle salicylic acid to chemically exfoliate your scalp, remove buildup, and soothe a dry scalp with 1-2 uses per week. Made with a sweet peony and coconut fragrance for use before you shampoo.
- Mega-Moisture Shampoo: This is a pH-balanced, hydrating formula that won’t strip your scalp’s natural moisture away. It removes scalp buildup with soothing and hydrating ingredients for soft, healthy hair.
- Mega-Moisture Conditioner: Contains a potent blend of hydrating ingredients for a moisturized and healthy scalp, including coconut oil, juice, and water, avocado oil, oat protein, and natural phospholipids that give the hair extra slip.
- Ultra-Hydrating Scalp Lotion: Leave-in product made with rich antioxidants and botanicals to protect and repair dry, damaged hair. This has the signature peony and coconut scent with hints of sandalwood.
For Combination Scalps
The yellow color indicates products in the combination (oily with dryness) line. The combination line features a zesty yuzu citrus and ginger scent. Here are the 4 products in the combination product line.
- Exfoliating Polish: Pre-shampoo scrub made with natural sugar crystals in 2 sizes for added physical exfoliation, salicylic acid for gentle chemical exfoliation, and botanicals like sea moss, ginger, and yuzu.
- Soft-Shine Shampoo: A pH-balanced formula that cleanses without stripping natural moisture while offering lightweight hydration for a balanced, healthy scalp. It leaves hair feeling soft, moisturized, and voluminous with yuzu, ginger, and celery botanical extracts in the mix.
- Soft-Shine Conditioner: Made without heavy moisturizers or ingredients, this is a lightweight conditioner that manages to moisturize and balance a combination scalp that struggles with dryness and oiliness in different areas.
- Nourishing Hair Serum: Contains a light and hydrating blend of ingredients to restore your scalp’s balance without overloading it with a heavy formula. It’s also made with yuzu and ginger scents and botanical extracts for nourished, healthy hair that feels soft and looks shiny.
For Oily Scalps
The green color indicates products in the oily scalp line. This 4-step routine for oily scalps contains a refreshing grapefruit and basil scent to leave the scalp clarified and deeply cleansed. Here are the 4 products in the oily scalp line.
- Deep Scalp Exfoliating Scrub: Gentle BHAs (salicylic acid) to remove oil buildup and flakes combined with physical exfoliation from sugar crystals in 2 sizes (fine and coarse) exfoliate the scalp for a clarified clean before you shampoo.
- Oil-Away Shampoo: This refreshing shampoo is made with lightweight ingredients that deliver a powerful cleanse to remove all traces of oil buildup and dirt. Sweet grapefruit and potent holy basil extracts leave the scalp clean without stripping and leading to excess oil production.
- Oil-Away Conditioner: The Oil-Away conditioner contains only the most lightweight moisturizing ingredients to send your scalp the message that no additional oil is needed. Jojoba seed oil, grapefruit and basil extracts, and a little slip for hair that feels soft without being weighed down with heavy moisturizers are key in this formula.
- Ultra-Nourishing Scalp Serum: Sea botanicals, licorice root, hops extract, and the expected grapefruit and holy basil extracts for this product line deeply nourish the hair while providing trace amounts of leave-in lightweight moisture for scalp health.
Headquarters likes to keep things simple, and that includes pricing. Every Headquarters product is priced the same, no matter which product you’re buying or what product line you’re purchasing.
All Headquarters products cost $7.48, and that includes the exfoliating scalp scrubs, shampoos, conditioners, and leave-in serums and lotions.
Like their parent company Harry’s, which started off offering affordable five-blade razors, shaving gel, and face lotion, Headquarters manages to keep their prices low by offering high-quality products in a limited range.
Since Headquarters only offers 12 different products (4 for each scalp type), their pricing doesn’t differ by product line like many other shampoo companies.
We commonly see affordable drugstore shampoo brands coming out with separate lines of “high-end” products that cost nearly double what their base level products do. It’s an effort to expand their customer base and increase profits, but it’s frustrating and expensive for customers.
Headquarters doesn’t play that game. They stick with offering simple, affordable products with clean ingredients that don’t need to be rebranded as luxe hair care to get customers’ attention.
Headquarters Shampoo Reviews from Real Customers
Does Headquarters’ line of products live up to the hype? Let’s check out Headquarters shampoo reviews and honest reviews for their complete line of products below.
We’ve taken verified customer reviews from Walmart to give you an accurate picture of how customers feel about their Headquarters products and the results they’re getting.
Please note that these reviews are not complete. Walmart is currently out of stock on a few of Headquarters’ most popular items, including 2 products from the combination scalp line (yellow).
This makes some of the review averages incomplete, but they should rise again once these popular products are back in stock.
- Headquarters shampoo reviews get an average of 4.4 stars out of 5 from verified customers. The Mega-Moisture shampoo gets the highest shampoo rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars.
- Headquarters scalp scrub reviews get an average of 4.3 stars out of 5 from verified customers. The Soothing Scalp Exfoliating Mask gets the highest scalp scrub rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
- Headquarters conditioner reviews get an average of 4.3 stars out of 5 from verified customers. The Oil-Away conditioner gets the highest conditioner rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
- Headquarters leave-in reviews get an average of 4.4 stars out of 5 from verified customers. The Ultra-Hydrating Scalp Lotion gets the highest leave-in rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
While these may not seem like stellar reviews, we compared them to reviews for similar sulfate-free shampoos from companies like Love Beauty And Planet (4.4 stars), Garnier Whole Blends (4.4 stars), Aveeno (4.4 stars), and L’Oreal (4.3 stars).
In addition to having reviews on par or better than these options, Headquarters products are also free from silicones, parabens, alcohols, and dyes while being 100% vegan and cruelty-free.
All things considered, Headquarters shampoo reviews indicate that these are high-quality products that get mostly 5-star reviews from customers.
The 4- and 3-star reviews we found indicated customers weren’t familiar with how sulfate-free shampoos work (they lather a lot less) or chose the wrong scalp care product line for their needs (for example, using the combination hair care line on an oily scalp, or dry hair line on a combination scalp).
Here’s a closer look at some of the Headquarters shampoo reviews (along with their other products) that were voted most helpful.
“I ordered the system for dry scalp and my hair has never felt better, smelled better, or been softer. I get compliments from my boyfriend every time I see him. Brushing my hair has been way easier than it used to be, and this stuff IS SAFE for color treated hair, which was huge for me. Definitely recommend. If you’re on the fence, just do it.” -5 stars from Lindsay K., purchased Mega-Moisture shampoo
“HQ Exfoliating Mask is nothing but the truth!!! I have suffered with dry and itchy scalp for the longest time and have tried many products that just did not work. After about a week of using this product, I noticed that my scalp didn’t itch as much, and that my hair from the roots to the ends looked moisturized. I absolutely love this product and highly recommend it to anyone who experiences dry and itchy scalp.” -5 stars from Mthompson, purchased Soothing Scalp Exfoliating Mask
“The product regime of scalp mask, shampoo and conditioner is working well. With improved scalp, and good condition hair. Product packaging feedback. Anyone short-sighted will have difficulty distinguishing the shampoo from the conditioner in the shower. A big ‘S’ and big ‘C’ on the bottles would completely eliminate this frustration. The conditioner is very thick, and even with a new bottle it is hard to get out of the bottle. I am sure it will be a real pain towards the end, needs a wider opening to flow more easily. The mask product needs an applicator to get it down into the roots more easily – as a hand applied product half of it ends up on the hair, not the scalp. But as a system, it is probably the best I have found for a lifelong issue with dry/flakey scalp.” -4 stars from Nigel B., purchased Mega-Moisture shampoo
“I am very pleased with the results I have been seeing since using this. The scent is so good and is light but smells really good. I like the way it feels when I put it on my scalp just cause it feels moist not oily. You don’t have to use a lot to feel like your scalp isn’t dry, so you don’t have it running down your face or your head. Works great.” -5 stars from Mellgbab, purchased Ultra-Hydrating Scalp Lotion
“I am on day three and I am OBSESSED. My hair feels soft, It feels like I will be able to go longer between washes and my scalp doesn’t hurt anymore! It also cleared my dandruff after one wash.” -5 stars from El, purchased Soft-Shine shampoo
“The Headquarters Hydrating Conditioner for Balanced Roots & Scalp is a salon quality experience. The Yuzu and ginger creates an amazing smell. The smell is clean and uplifting. The conditioner has a nice constancy. The leave in time is three minutes. It hydrates my hair really well. It’s really nice to have a conditioner that focuses on my roots and scalp. I think this is an innovative product. I love that it is free from sulfates, certain drying alcohols, silicones and dyes. It is also safe for color treated hair which is a huge plus. The only negative is that the label could be a little hard to see. Other than that it’s a great salon quality root and scalp conditioner.” -5 stars from AshMom, purchased Soft-Shine conditioner
“I recently purchased the line of products for oily hair. The first time I used them, the scent alone won me over, but now after using them for almost a month, they have become my new favorite hair care products. They leave my hair feeling soft and clean and smelling great. The conditioner is great at deeply hydrating without leaving my hair feeling greasy. I highly recommend!” -5 stars from Brian Z., purchased Oil-Away conditioner
“I like that it has somewhat of a citrus scent. I will say, it leaves my hair and scalp feeling pretty clean. I noticed my roots didn’t get as oily as they normally do either and I didn’t get dryness either. Honestly though, I don’t feel it lathered nicely and I felt I had to use more than I normally use to distribute it through my hair. It’s not great, but it’s not bad either.” -3 stars from Texxasgurl45
“This shampoo is amazing. It really gets my hair clean, my scalp seems purified. It gets rid of buildup and smells so good. It left no residue behind, and it left it feeling soft. The next day my hair still felt clean. I would recommend this to anyone with oily roots.” -5 stars from Mom5072, purchased Oil-Away shampoo
“I like how my hair looks and feels when I use the system. Wish the directions were in black. Would like better directions. For example, does the exfoliator go on wet or dry hair and scalp.” -3 stars from Barbara J., purchased Soft-Shine conditioner
“I love this stuff!! This shampoo really cleans my oily/unbalanced scalp. It has a really unique consistency that feels great and smells phenomenal! I use it with the matching conditioner and love them both.” -5 stars from Morgan F., purchased Soft-Shine shampoo
Headquarters Pros and Cons
Let’s talk about the pros and cons of Headquarters hair care products. What’s awesome about them, what needs work, and what do customers really love about this brand?
We’ve taken customer reviews into account to show you the real pros and cons of using Headquarters.
Here’s a look at what customers love about Headquarters hair care products, from their scalp scrubs to their post-cleanse serums and hair lotions.
- Extremely affordable products for all scalp needs. Headquarters products are extremely affordable, especially if you’ve been on the hunt for products that target specific scalp concerns like dryness, flaking, itching, excess oil, and unbalanced scalp with both dryness and excess oil. With all products costing just $7.48, you’ll find that Headquarters offers some of the most affordable vegan, cruelty-free hair care without the “nasties” found in most drugstore shampoos.
- Makes hair care routines really simple. You won’t find an endless array of products that overlap or promise to target similar issues. Each Headquarters product is formulated specifically to target one of the major scalp health issues most women face (dryness, oiliness, or both). Each line gets its own scent and bottle color to make things even easier. And every product is priced exactly the same – $7.48 – to stick with the simple vision.
- Free from all the bad stuff, packed with good stuff. Headquarters shampoo and other products contain zero harsh sulfates, hair-coating silicones, preservative parabens, drying alcohols, or harmful dyes. They’re also cruelty-free and 100% vegan. It’s tough to find these qualifications in affordable hair care, so we were glad to see this!
- All products are safe for color-treated hair. So many women bleach, highlight, and color their hair that color-safe products are really important to find. Headquarters’ entire line of hair care products are safe for color-treated hair, which makes them a great option if you regularly color or bleach your hair. These products won’t fade or strip your color so it lasts longer in between salon visits.
- Available online or in-store. We really like that Headquarters shampoo, conditioner, scalp scrub, and leave-in products are available online or in-store. This makes it simple to get your products whether you prefer to do your shopping with a click of a button or by strolling the aisles at the store. Since there are thousands of Walmart locations around the country, it’s really easy to find the Headquarters products you want in stock locally.
- Great customer reviews. Headquarters shampoo reviews are comparable to other popular sulfate-free shampoos from affordable brands like Aveeno, Garnier, L’Oreal, and Love Beauty and Planet. With tons of 5-star ratings and an overall average of 4.4 stars from customers, these reviews are a great indicator that users love these products and would recommend them to others.
We didn’t find many serious cons when analyzing Headquarters shampoo reviews. We did take note of customers that offered less than a 5 star rating and what they thought could be improved. Take a look at real customer feedback below.
- Don’t expect a traditional, sudsy lather. If you’re new to sulfate-free shampoo, you might find that Headquarters shampoo doesn’t quite lather up the way you’re used to. Sulfates are the main lathering factor in most shampoos, so when you remove those harsh soapy ingredients, the formula won’t lather up as sudsy as a traditional shampoo. Some Headquarters shampoo reviews docked a star or two from shampoos that worked well because they weren’t expecting a lighter lather. Keep this in mind and know that the reduced lather is a signal that the formula is more gentle and healthier for your scalp.
- Color-coded bottles can be tough to decipher for short-sighted users. One user noted that the similar design and color for each product line makes it hard to distinguish the shampoo from the conditioner in the shower. You may want to use a permanent marker to indicate an S or C on the bottle for ease if you’re short-sighted.
- Exfoliating scalp scrub products don’t come with an applicator. The exfoliating scrubs that are part of each scalp care line don’t come with an applicator, so you’ll have to use your hands to apply the scrub to your roots. Since you’ll need to scrub manually to exfoliate your scalp, this won’t be an issue for most users.
- Conditioners are thick and challenging to dispense. A few customers noted that their Headquarters conditioner was very thick and tough to dispense from the bottle. This may be due to the natural ingredients and cleaner formulas without silicones or parabens. Some people love a good, thick conditioner, but if it’s a problem for you, there are ways around it. One easy fix is attaching a pump to dispense the conditioner, or you can try storing the bottle upside down to keep it ready to squeeze out. Add a little distilled water (important to avoid growing bacteria in your conditioner) to dilute it if needed.
More Things to Consider
We’ve covered the ins and outs of Headquarters hair care products, from their shampoo and conditioner to their scalp scrubs and leave-in serums. What else should you know before you decide to make the switch?
- Use the full product line if you switch. While it’s tempting to just grab a shampoo and conditioner to use, you’ll really get the full benefits of these products by using the entire 4-step line. The pre-shampoo scalp scrub removes flakes and buildup, the shampoo deeply cleanses, the conditioner returns moisture to the hair, and the leave-in product targets your main scalp concern. If you only use one or two of the products from your line, you may not see the full benefits.
- Keep other product usage to a minimum. With Headquarters products, the whole idea is simplicity – treating the scalp problems you have with clean, natural ingredients that won’t further disturb your scalp’s balance. Try to avoid using a lot of unnecessary products that may lead to more buildup and scalp issues. You’ll notice a big difference.
- Wash the right way. You’ve been shampooing all your life, so you probably don’t think much about your wash technique. But with these scalp-focused products, you may need to switch up the way you shampoo to get the most benefits. Focus on your scalp and use gentle massaging motions to scrub, lather, and apply the products. Don’t scrub harshly or use your fingernails. This will put you one step closer to a healed and healthy scalp.
- Watch how often you wash. With clean shampoo and hair care products like the ones offered from Headquarters, you don’t have to be as concerned about washing too often. But you should still take care to only wash your hair when it needs a cleanse. That’s usually 2-3 times a week, but may differ depending on your hair type. Learn more here: How Often Should You Wash Your Hair?
- Apply your scalp scrub to dry or damp hair. While the Headquarters directions say to use your scalp scrub before you shower, you can also use it while your hair is damp. Dry use gives you the most exfoliation, while damp use may be a better option if your scalp is sensitive. Don’t use it on wet hair, which dilutes the scrub and nullifies the exfoliating action.
Do Headquarters Shampoo Reviews Live Up to the Hype?
So, what’s the final word – are Headquarters shampoo reviews good enough to inspire you to switch? We think this line of hair care products is ideal for anyone experiencing issues with scalp health.
If you’re dealing with dryness, flaking, itching, oiliness, oily and dry zones, or famine/feast oil issues (dry after washing, but oily within hours), you should give Headquarters a try. Headquarters shampoo reviews include hundreds of 5 star ratings and an overall average of 4.4 stars.
This indicates that customers are loving the 3 lines of hair care this company offers, and these reviews don’t even include the ratings from some of the company’s most popular products that are currently out of stock.
With options for dry, oily, and combination hair, there’s truly a product line for everyone. Since Headquarters targets the health of the scalp rather than the dead (sorry, it’s true) hair, their products just make sense.
If your scalp is healed and healthy, it’s going to transform the quality, strength, and moisture levels of your hair automatically. Instead of buying different shampoos everytime a new hair issue crops up, try the Headquarters product line that matches your scalp needs instead.
You’ll see a healthier scalp, softer hair, and more balanced moisture (not too dry or oily, but just right) when you switch.
Be sure to leave your own review when you decide to try Headquarters products! We’d love to add your honest rating to our review roundup to help other customers decide if these products are right for them.