Wondering about the infamous “Cardi B hair mask” you’ve seen all over TikTok? You’re in the right place. We’ll show you what’s in her hair mask, how to make it, and a few things to consider before trying.
Learn how to make the Cardi B hair mask at home with simple but nourishing ingredients. Avocado, mayonnaise, and natural oils make up the base of this hydrating hair mask.
While she uses nutrient-rich eggs, bananas, and honey to treat her hair to a nourishing buffet for better shine, strength, and softness. Now you can do the same!
We’re Obsessed With the Cardi B Hair Mask
Cardi B may be known for waxing lyrical about moisture and hydration in…other areas, but her DIY hair mask recipe is all about deeply moisturizing and nourishing your hair.
Ever since the rapper shared her secret online back in June, fans online have been keen to mix up their own batch of the Cardi B hair mask. And many are loving the results. Cardi says she uses natural foods and ingredients to create her DIY hair mask.
She uses fatty, nutrient-rich ingredients like avocado, eggs, bananas, honey, and mayonnaise to nourish her hair with vitamins, fats, and minerals needed for growth, softness, and shine.
She blends the ingredients together with lots of black castor oil, argan oil, and olive oil for a rich consistency that completely envelopes and saturates the hair. She even uses this hair mask recipe on her 3 year old daughter, Kulture, with great success.
Okurrr, let’s not wait any longer! We’ll share the original Cardi B hair mask recipe below, then we’ll address the science behind the ingredients in this concoction to see if it really works as well as Cardi claims. Keep reading to see how you can try the hair mask!
The Original Cardi B Hair Mask Recipe
The Cardi B hair mask has been making the rounds online for a few months. She says it’s the secret to keeping her natural hair moisturized and soft with defined texture. If you want to get like Cardi, you can try her DIY hair mask yourself!
It’s made with natural and easily accessible ingredients that nourish, hydrate, and treat your hair to something special. The best part? You can find the ingredients at your local grocery store on the cheap!
You can try Cardi B’s hair mask out for yourself with her original recipe. This DIY blend uses common ingredients that you might already have around the kitchen. If you don’t, everything can be found at your local grocery store.
This mask is a moisturizing, nourishing hair mask that should make your curl pattern stand out, soften strands, introduce deep moisture and hydration.
She even credits her long hair growth to using this mask – in one of the original videos from her Instagram story, she says “It’s just a good mask to help your hair grow.” Let’s check out the recipe below!
- 2 ripe avocados
- Big scoop of mayonaise (about 1/4 cup)
- Honey (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 eggs
- Black castor oil (about 1/2 cup)
- Argan oil (about a tablespoon)
- Olive oil (about a tablespoon)
- 1 peeled banana
- Add the meat of 1 avocado to a blender.
- Drizzle in about a tablespoon of argan oil to the avocado.
- Take a 1/4 cup scoop of mayonnaise and add to the blender.
- Add about a tablespoon of honey (not too much, which can make the mask too sticky, according to Cardi B) and crack 2 eggs into the blender.
- Pour in about 1/2 cup of black castor oil and drizzle in about a tablespoon of olive oil to the mix.
- Add the meat of another avocado to the blender.
- Peel 1 banana and add it to the blender.
- Blend all ingredients, or as Cardi calls it, “shake the table” until smooth. Make sure to fully blend the ingredients to get rid of any chunks left behind from the avocados or bananas.
The finished hair mask should have a creamy, thick consistency similar to conditioner. Use right away or store in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Does the Cardi B Hair Mask Actually Work?
If you’ve been hearing about the Cardi B hair mask over the last few months, you’re probably wondering if it’s worth trying out. So we decided to dig deep into the science behind Cardi’s DIY hair mask to see if it’s as effective as she claims.
In one of the original Instagram videos, Cardi says “It’s a good hair mask to help your hair grow—anything that’s good for your body you can put in your hair.”
We completely agree, but some ingredients are better than others when it comes to getting those nutrients and hydration deep down into strands. Let’s take a look at the main ingredients in this mask to see if they’re truly helpful or beneficial for hair.
Cardi B Hair Mask Benefits
What we found is that every single ingredient in the Cardi B hair mask provides special benefits for hair. This is some good stuff if you’re looking to nourish, moisturize, smooth, strengthen, and grow your hair!
Some of the natural ingredients in the DIY mask have been shown to switch dormant hair follicles back into the growth stage for faster hair growth. Some are there purely for intensive hydration and moisture.
Others are in the mix to help seal all the new moisture into strands. Take a look at the science-backed benefits of using Cardi B’s original hair mask below:
- Argan oil: Often called “liquid gold” for hair, argan oil helps seal moisture into strands, smooths, adds shine, defines curl pattern, and protects the hair from damage.
- Avocado: This fatty fruit helps eliminate frizz, add shine, and aid growth with biotin, fatty acids, and essential minerals. It’s also been shown to reduce breakage for better growth.
- Banana: Bananas contain hair-strengthening silica for improved growth and strength, plus the natural fruit can help relieve dandruff symptoms while adding shine and conditioning hair for softness.
- Black castor oil: Black castor oil has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antimicrobial properties that could aid faster hair growth and better overall hair health. It seals in moisture and acts as a natural moisturizer. Limited studies have been done on black castor oil for hair growth, but we hope to see more data in the future.
- Eggs: Eggs from a chicken contain HGP (Hair Growth Peptides), which scientists named after finding that peptides in egg yolks stimulate and increase hair growth. Eggs also contain biotin (essential vitamin for hair growth), folate, vitamin D, and vitamin A.
- Honey: Honey is a known anti-fungal, antibacterial, and antioxidant ingredient that can help with dandruff and scalp inflammation. Topical honey has been shown to reduce or reverse hair loss in people with scalp issues.
- Mayonnaise: Mayo contains a range of ingredients like soybean oil (which is shown to stimulate hair growth), growth-stimulating eggs, low pH vinegar to smooth the cuticle, and nutrient-rich lemon juice. You get a blend of all these benefits when you add mayo to your hair mask.
- Olive oil: Olive oil has been shown to switch hair into the anagen growth phase, which can help you grow your hair faster or reverse hair loss. It contains antioxidants that can also help protect against hair loss, as well as possessing antibacterial properties for better scalp and hair health.
Things to Consider
You’ve learned all about Cardi B’s original hair mask. We’ve looked at the ingredients, the original recipe, and the science that backs up her claims.
There’s no doubt that using this hair mask is going to be beneficial for your hair, but there are still a few things to consider before you get to mixing:
- Apply to wet, freshly shampooed hair. The best time to apply your DIY hair mask is right after shampooing. There’s no need to condition – you want your clean strands to be ready to receive all the natural goodness and nutrients from the hair mask. Cardi’s videos showed her applying the freshly-made hair mask to daughter Kulture’s wet, clean hair for the best absorption and curl definition.
- Pop on a shower cap to get the most benefits. After applying the Cardi B hair mask to your hair, put on a plastic shower cap (or use plastic wrap) to cover your hair. This will trap your natural body heat for better penetration and softens up your hair even more. Leave it on for about 20 minutes to let it work its magic.
- Rinse it out thoroughly. This natural hair mask is full of thick, creamy, oily, and rich ingredients. That’s awesome for your hair, but it also means it’s somewhat difficult to rinse out. You should spend at least 3 minutes rinsing the mask out completely – and it may take closer to 5 minutes if you have very long or thick hair. Start with warm water and finish up with a cool rinse to seal the cuticle on each strand for more shine and softness. Make sure you don’t leave any chunks of rogue avocado behind!
- Some of the mask ingredients aren’t yet proven on humans. While every single ingredient in Cardi B’s hair mask has been backed by some form of research, not all of the research has been conducted on humans yet. For example, olive oil has been shown to switch dormant hair follicles back to the growth phase in mice, but there’s no study yet to prove this is the case for humans. However, every ingredient in this hair mask is 100% safe and all natural, so you really can’t go wrong.
- Know how often to use it. If you have extremely dry, fragile, or damaged hair, you can use this hair mask up to 3 times per week. For less dry or slightly damaged hair, aim to use it once or twice a week. For regular maintenance, you should use this mask once a week to once every 2 weeks to continue getting benefits.
Cardi B has given us some bangers in her time, but this DIY natural hair mask just may be our favorite so far. She shared her own recipe for this nourishing, hydrating mask so millions of women all over the globe can get the same long, strong, smooth, and shiny hair she is so famous for rocking.
If you’ve got the ingredients in your kitchen already, what are you waiting for? Get in there and mix up this natural hair mask.
You’ll achieve softer, smoother, longer hair that is moisturized and strong every time you use it. And if it’s good enough for Cardi’s cute little girl, Kulture, it’s good enough for us!