Of all the high-end shampoo brands, Oribe is probably the most famous. The price tag is a little steep for some, but dedicated users, celebs, and beauty influencers swear by this brand.
We compiled and analyzed real Oribe shampoo reviews from verified customers to find out if these luxe formulas are really the holy grail of hair products or better left to the rich and famous.
See our Oribe shampoo reviews roundup along with info about the company, pricing and product lists, ingredients and formulas, pros and cons, and more. We’ll find out if Oribe shampoo is really as good as its loyal followers say.
About the Oribe Haircare Brand
Oribe (pronounced or-bay) is a luxury beauty brand that makes a range of beauty products from shampoo to body care. In the beauty world, companies make products that can be considered good, better, and best.
Oribe prides itself on being a brand that makes only the best products in every category. The company was founded by celebrity stylist Oribe Canales back in 2008.
His clients (including Jennifer Lopez, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell, and Miley Cyrus) wanted quality hair care products a notch above the luxury brands they were used to buying.
He created a line of high-end products with a signature scent, luxe, boutique feel, and top-quality ingredients sourced from around the globe to fill the gap. Today, Oribe is synonymous with the best of the best in the hair care world.
Their best-selling products are their shampoos, and it’s safe to say that the word has gotten out. Thousands of women have tried Oribe shampoo and many refuse to use any other brand once they discover the difference.
While the original users might’ve been A-list celebrities and supermodels, Oribe shampoo, hair care, styling, and body care products are now in the hands of everyday women in search of products that elevate their personal standard of care.
But they don’t come cheap, and many would-be users wonder if Oribe shampoo and other products are actually worth splurging on. Sure, the bottles are fancy, the reviews look good, and the smell is amazing – but do you really need to drop big bucks on Oribe shampoo?
That’s what we’re going to explore in this detailed guide. We’ll look at Oribe shampoo reviews, pricing, pros and cons, and formulas to find out if Oribe shampoo is really worth the splurge.
What Is Oribe Shampoo?
Oribe shampoo is one of the company’s best-selling products and their shampoos are available in a range of formulas for different hair types and common hair concerns. While new Oribe shampoo product lines come out often, the company has a core group of formulas that they’ve become famous for.
Some of the best-selling Oribe shampoos include their:
- Signature Shampoo
- Gold Lust Repair and Restore Shampoo
- Shampoo for Beautiful Color and
- Shampoo for Magnificent Volume
Each formula has its own loyal, almost rabid fanbase. All of Oribe’s shampoo formulas are infused with the company’s signature, custom fragrance.
It’s described as an intoxicating blend of citrusy Italian bergamot, Sicilian orange, butterfly jasmine, and ripe white peach with notes of rich sandalwood, amber, and vetiver.
While “expensive” isn’t really a scent, that’s how we’d describe the tantalizingly sweet, almost woodsy aroma of Oribe shampoo. This is what millionaires and heiresses smell like. Oribe shampoos are formulated to cover a range of hair care needs and concerns.
You’ll find shampoos designed to detangle and soften hair, inject airy volume, moisturize dry hair and scalp, strengthen strands and scalp with healing oils, repair damage, preserve color, scrub away dandruff, and bust brassiness from blonde color.
Each shampoo is part of a full product line with companion formulas designed to use along with it. The products available differ by the line, but you’ll always find a companion conditioner with your chosen shampoo.
Other products include rich hair masques, moisturizing creams, thickening sprays and hairsprays, dry shampoos, stylers, mousses, and gels.
Oribe Shampoo Products & Pricing (As of 7/1/22)
Oribe is a luxury beauty brand, so their prices reflect the higher quality of globally-sourced ingredients and enhanced shampoo formulas they offer.
This definitely isn’t a budget or drugstore shampoo brand, so you won’t find Oribe shampoo “cheap.” Oribe shampoo prices are more affordable than other high-end hair care brands like Philip B. and Alterna, however.
Some formulas are available in smaller travel size bottles (2.5 ounces) and larger liter bottles (33.8 ounces). You’ll find liter refills available for some formulas at around a 10% discount. Most Oribe shampoos are available only in the regular (8.5 ounces) size bottle.
Here’s a look at the different shampoo formulas Oribe makes and their prices (as of 7/1/22).
|Oribe Shampoo||Price||Travel Price||Liter Price|
|Gold Lust Repair and Restore Shampoo||$49||$17||$141 (refill) - $157 (one-time)|
|Run-Through Detangling Shampoo||$49||--||--|
|Shampoo for Brilliance & Shine||$49||--||--|
|Hair Alchemy Resilience Shampoo||$49||--||--|
|Signature Shampoo||$46||$15||$132 (refill) - $147 (one-time)|
|Shampoo for Beautiful Color||$46||$16||$132 (refill) - $147 (one-time)|
|Bright Blonde Shampoo for Beautiful Color||$46||$17||$147|
|Shampoo for Magnificent Volume||$46||--||--|
|Shampoo for Moisture & Control||$46||--||--|
|Cleansing Creme for Moisture & Control||$46||--||--|
|Serene Scalp Anti-Dandruff Shampoo||$46||--||$147|
|The Cleanse Clarifying Shampoo||$44||--||--|
Oribe Shampoo Prices Per Ounce
Oribe shampoos cost more than drugstore and mid-level beauty brands across the board, but that’s to be expected. If you’re interested in figuring out the price per ounce to see if this brand is worth splurging on (or just how big a splurge it actually is), take a look at these prices per ounce.
Prices per ounce on Oribe shampoo ranges from as little as $3.90/ounce (liter refills) to $6.80/ounce (travel size). Regular shampoo bottles contain 8.5 ounces of shampoo and cost anywhere from $5.17/ounce to $5.76/ounce.
The cheapest way to buy Oribe shampoo is by the liter, especially the liter refills. You’ll pay as little as $3.90/ounce for liter refills, but this packaging is only available for Gold Lust Repair and Restore Shampoo, Signature Shampoo, and Shampoo for Beautiful Color.
For full liter bottles without the flexible refill packaging, you’ll pay as little as $4.34/ounce. Travel sizes are the most expensive per ounce, ranging from $6 to $6.80/ounce depending on the formula you choose.
While it’s a lot more expensive per ounce this way, it makes financial sense for some. People buy the smaller travel sizes ($15 to $17/bottle) to try a formula before splurging on a full-size bottle or to take on trips without lugging the larger full-size bottle along.
To see how the price per ounce differs for the different shampoos and bottle sizes, here are a few examples:
The best-selling Gold Lust Repair and Restore Shampoo is $5.76/ounce when you buy the regular 8.5 ounce bottle. It’s $6.80/ounce for the travel size 2.5 ounce bottle.
Grab the larger liter bottle instead (33.8 ounces) and you’ll pay much less at $4.64/ounce. Once your liter bottle runs out (or if you don’t mind using the refill bag instead), the price drops to $4.17/ounce.
Oribe’s Signature Shampoo, Shampoo for Beautiful Color, Bright Blonde Shampoo for Beautiful Color, and Serene Scalp Anti-Dandruff Shampoo are all priced the same per ounce for the regular 8.5 ounce bottle at $5.41/ounce.
The prices range from $6/ounce to $6.80/ounce for the travel sizes. This group of shampoos is $4.34/ounce for liter bottles and $3.90/ounce for the lines that offer liter refills.
Oribe Shampoo Reviews From Actual Customers
Oribe shampoo reviews show an overall review rating average of 4.6 out of 5 stars with more than 2,100+ reviews online. That’s impressive, especially in the world of high-end beauty.
Luxe beauty brand customers tend to review a little more harshly because they spend more on their products – and who can blame them?
The best Oribe shampoo reviews were for the following products:
- Shampoo for Moisture & Control (4.9 stars)
- Cleansing Creme for Moisture & Control (4.8 stars)
- Silverati Shampoo (4.8 stars)
- Shampoo for Magnificent Volume (4.7 stars)
- Shampoo for Brilliance & Shine (4.7 stars)
With thousands of reviews and a rating average of 4.6 out of 5 stars, we see clear indicators that Oribe shampoo users are loving their purchases and many return to buy again and again.
We analyzed every single Oribe shampoo review and not one had a review average below 4.2 out of 5 stars. Most received average ratings of 4.6 stars and higher. Some Oribe shampoos (Shampoo for Moisture & Control) reach an incredible review average of 4.9 stars.
It takes a *lot* of 5-star reviews to reach a 4.6, 4.8, or 4.9 review average! Every Oribe shampoo review on the website has been verified and is posted from real customers and users.
We paid special attention to first-time customers who gave their honest first impressions and preliminary results with their shampoo.
We also included helpful reviews from loyal Oribe customers who’ve been using their products for years to give you an idea of how these formulas work over time and attract repeat customers.
Oribe Shampoo Reviews
“This is my first time trying a product from Oribe. When I saw that I would be getting this product I looked it up and first noticed the price tag. It’s a steep price for 8oz of product. I have long thick curly hair down to my hips, so I was scared I would be using up like half the bottle on wash day. Turns out less is more with this product. I use significantly less shampoo, maybe like a quarter and a half amount of product, compared to other brands. It lathers quickly and smells really good. Reminds me of perfume. It’s got a unique scent to it. My hair felt cleansed after using this shampoo.I would definitely give it a try and recommend it to others!” -5 stars from Kiwisaur, purchased Gold Lust Repair and Restore Shampoo
“This shampoo totally met my expectations! It has a really good smell, the shampoo isn’t liquid, has a great consistent and has kind of sparkling inside! I didn’t have concerns about it! It made a lot of bubbles in my hair and after my hair got dry it looks really really good (I used with the conditioner) and I let it dry by itself! I’m in love with this product and totally recommend it! It’s living in my bathroom right now!” -5 stars from Xulaiana, purchased Gold Lust Repair and Restore Shampoo
“This is my favorite shampoo. It lathers nicely, leaves my hair clean, full of volume, and the signature scent is amazing. My hair is never left limp or lifeless as it doesn’t strip your hair of oils. It’s color safe and a tiny amount goes a long way. I will always use this shampoo and on a side note, my hair is incredibly healthy and not damaged. I credit Oribe.” -5 stars from Traceyd14, purchased Signature Shampoo
“Oribe’s products smell so good that even if it did nothing for my hair I would buy them anyway. But this shampoo has extended the longevity of my hair color and has helped me not have to dye it as often. It doesn’t strip my hair at all but leaves it so clean and silky smooth, I’m obsessed. (Also all of Oribe’s bottles are gorgeous).” -5 stars from Madisonoco, purchased Shampoo for Beautiful Color
“My hair is colored “mermaid” red and very easily fades. Several weeks ago I got out of the shower and looked in the mirror…I just about died!! My hair was pink and platinum…no joke!! I didn’t realize my water softener had run out of salt. Our city water is very hard and has tons of iron minerals in it. I quickly placed an order for this clarifying shampoo. After washing my hair with it, it literally brought my color back. No joke!! The red came back! And my hair felt soft, moisturized and supple again. Way to go, Oribe!!” -5 stars from Sallykate, purchased The Cleanse Clarifying Shampoo
“Love the smell. I only used this about once a month since it is a clarifying shampoo, but it left my hair feeling really clean every time. You could probably use it more often though, it didn’t leave my scalp feeling overly dry or anything.” -4 stars from Emilym0209, purchased The Cleanse Clarifying Shampoo
“Best. Volume. Shampoo. On. The. Market. Changes the texture of the hair. Lifts from roots to tip. No joke. I know Oribe has a high price point— but their products are just unreal! Especially this line. Oribe Shampoo For Magnificent Volume I also use the Oribe Conditioner For Magnificent Volume. Perfect!” -5 stars from Schmandathepanda, purchased Shampoo for Magnificent Volume
“My hair stylist recommended this line of products for my highlighted blonde hair. I mentioned to him that I would leave the salon with beautiful bright blonde and in a few short weeks it would begin to turn a yellow or brassy color. So, I’ve put this shampoo and conditioner in my rotation and use every other time I wash my hair. It has kept my hair bright, reduced the grassiness greatly and smells amazing. Not to mention that it leaves my hair feeling soft and nourished. I highly recommend this line if you have highlights!” -5 stars from Carolc12, purchased Bright Blonde Shampoo for Beautiful Color
“When I say that this shampoo / conditioner combo has changed my life… I am not exaggerating. I have struggled with a flakey, dry scalp my entire life and have tried just about everything under the sun… and then I finally bit the bullet and invested in this line and it is SO WORTH IT! I haven’t had a flake in months and only have to wash my hair once/twice a week. I have fine, curly hair and live in Colorado where there’s zero moisture in the air. This duo has made my hair so soft, it never gets greasy, and my scalp is finally nourished! I would absolutely recommend this product. Also- you literally have to use a dime sized amount so it’ll last you for a good while! Worth the investment!” -5 stars from Maddy2021, purchased Shampoo for Moisture & Control
“I really didn’t know what to expect from this Cleansing Cream Shampoo. No lather – not one bubble, but a completely satisfying experience. The scent is divine & it definitely stimulated my scalp. I have long, very fine color treated hair (blonde). This shampoo left me with moisturized, smooth hair – no frizz. I am very pleased with this purchase & highly recommend this product.” -5 stars from Spinner333, purchased Cleansing Creme for Moisture & Control
“I bought this and find it weighs my hair down. My hair is fine – not best for me.” -3 stars from Kathyp, purchased Run-Through Detangling Shampoo
“This shampoo is the first shampoo I noticed my hair shining! I don’t know how anyone couldn’t love the oribe signature scent. It’s incredible! i’m sensitive to smells but love this. If you know you know. I like this more then the Signature, Alchemy and Gold Lust shampoos. The Gold Lust conditioner is still my holy grail! But I love this shampoo! my hair is color treated, blonde, fine but I have a lot, damaged, dry with oily roots. Oribe doesn’t have sulfates so I always double wash with the shampoos!” -5 stars from Michellezb4cd, purchased Shampoo for Brilliance & Shine
“I’ve been using this shampoo for a couple of years now. I didn’t have dandruff, but had issues with scalp sensitivity to several dyes and styling products. This shampoo is gentle, smells wonderful, and seems to prevent agitation. If it’s preventing dandruff at the same time, it’s a “win/win” situation. I follow up with the coordinating conditioner and thickening spray. I LOVE Oribe Serene Scalp Anti-Dandruff Shampoo, Oribe Serene Scalp Balancing Conditioner, and Oribe Serene Scalp Thickening Treatment Spray! In addition, my hair is extremely soft and I credit this to the brand’s products. Thank you Oribe!” -5 stars from Roweonthego, purchased Serene Scalp Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
“I’ve been using oribe silverati shampoo for many years now ever since I transitioned to gray hair. I prefer using it over purple shampoos. Pair it with the oribe silverati illuminating masque.” -5 stars from Jojit, purchased Silverati Shampoo
“I wanted to use it for a few days first before I did my review. So, I use this product for about 2 weeks and I am totally in love with this shampoo!! The shampoo itself is a light pearl color shampoo and very creamy. The scent is fantastic!!! Not too strong and like the fragrance of flowers I would say. ￼The shampoo lathered up VERY well!!! It kinda felt like I’m washing my hair in butter. It is soooo creamy and light! My fingers just glide right through my hair as I’m washing it. I have honestly never used a shampoo that was so creamy and lathered so well. My hair is VERY silky and shiny and does not feel weighed down at all!! I am totally impressed with this shampoo…I honestly think I found my shampoo for the rest of my life!!” -5 stars from Janw11, purchased Hair Alchemy Resilience Shampoo
Oribe Shampoo Pros and Cons
With these verified customer reviews in mind, let’s take a look at the honest pros and cons for Oribe shampoo. What do users really love about these products and formulas?
What do they hate or complain about? We’ll dive deep into reviews, FAQs, and product formulas to find out.
Oribe Shampoo Pros
Here’s what Oribe shampoo users praise and rave about the most. It’s clear that the brand’s loyal following has discovered a lot to love about the brand and their products!
- Signature Oribe scent: All Oribe shampoos contain the brand’s signature, sexy scent. It’s a blend of Cuban jasmine, Italian bergamot and orange, apple, white peach, sandalwood, vetiver, and amber. Users describe the smell as incredible, delicious, sexy, expensive, and intoxicating. For some, the alluring signature scent is one of the reasons they’re dedicated Oribe users.
- Custom lab-formulated shampoos: Oribe works with specialty labs, researchers, and collaborators globally to create their custom shampoo formulations. You won’t find anything like Oribe’s shampoo from another hair care line, even among the other luxury brands. Unique botanicals, potent cleansing and nourishing ingredients, and a commitment to leave out harsh and harmful ingredients make Oribe shampoo formulas uniquely luxe and effective.
- No nasties in the mix: All Oribe shampoos and hair products are made with purity in mind. There are no harmful ingredients (which we call “nasties”) in their shampoo formulas so you can be sure you’re exposing your hair to anything harsh or harmful when you indulge in their products. Oribe products are free from harsh sulfates (sodium lauryl sulfate and sodium laureth sulfate), preservative parabens, drying sodium chloride, and inflammatory gluten.
- Conscious, safe hair care: Oribe shampoo and hair products are also certified cruelty-free (never tested on animals or sold in countries that test on animals) and tested to be color-safe and keratin-treatment safe. Every product offers UV protection to help maintain the integrity, strength, and rich color of your hair when spending time in the sun.
- Loyal customers and rave reviews: We noticed a trend in Oribe shampoo reviews – lots of users reporting they’ll never use another brand or shampoo formula after finding their favorite. Many refer to their favorite Oribe formula as their “holy grail” shampoo despite the higher cost. And they’re not kidding. Some of these women have been buying and refilling their Oribe shampoos since the company was founded in 2008!
- Lasts a long time: We noted that reviews from ladies with long hair repeat the same point: Less is more with concentrated Oribe shampoo. Some indicated they use about a quarter of the amount they needed with cheaper, diluted shampoos. You don’t have to use much to deeply cleanse your hair, even if it’s waist-length. That’s great and makes the price point a little more palatable for budget-conscious buyers.
- Great consistency and lather: While cheaper shampoos tend to have a more liquid-like consistency, Oribe reviewers note that these formulas are thicker, creamier, and richer. The formulas are all sulfate-free, which can lead to a less-satisfying lather with some brands. But reviewers say Oribe’s unique formulations create an excellent lather so you won’t miss the sulfates.
- Luxe packaging and presentation: When you’re spending $44+ on shampoo, you want a high-end experience from the moment you receive your order. Oribe delivers with luxe packaging and uniquely shaped, gorgeous bottles that stand out in your shower. The modern upscale design, alluring scent, and amazing results win most users over.
- Salon-quality results: Oribe shampoo users get excellent results from all of the different formulas. Each formula does exactly what it says it will, and that’s no easy feat. From sky-high, lightweight volume to silky, detangled hair without frizz, the reviews show that you’ll love your salon-quality results when you use Oribe shampoo. Many are able to simply air dry after washing and conditioning with great results!
Oribe Shampoo Cons
All the positive reviews, quality formulations, and overall effectiveness aside, what’s not so great about Oribe shampoo? Here’s a look at the cons we uncovered in our review analysis.
- It’s pretty expensive: You knew this was coming, right? Oribe shampoo is expensive and there’s no way around it. You’ll be paying anywhere from $44 to $49 for an 8.5 ounce bottle and $132+ for a liter of this stuff. It might be liquid gold, but this steep price point puts it out of range for some budgets. The cheapest way to buy it upfront is in travel size bottles ($15-$17) but they only contain 2.5 ounces. The cheapest way to buy it per ounce is in the liter refill packages that cost as little as $3.90/ounce.
- Some won’t work for fine hair: We found that ladies with fine hair weren’t as successful with certain heavier Oribe shampoos, like the Run-Through Detangling Shampoo, Shampoo for Moisture & Control, and Cleansing Creme for Moisture & Control. They left fine hair a little limp and weighed down. If you have fine hair, stick to lighter Oribe formulas outside of these 3.
- Some formulas not available in all sizes: If you fall in love with Oribe shampoos, you’ll want to start buying the liter bottles or refills to save a little money long-term. But some Oribe shampoos are only available in the regular 8.5 ounce bottles or in the liter bottle. You won’t find liter refills, liter sizes, or travel sizes in many of the formulations, so you’ll be stuck buying the 8.5 ounce bottles until Oribe rolls out some new sizes.
- Not considered “clean” beauty: Most people don’t pay attention to shampoo ingredient labels, but clean ingredients are a big concern for you, note that Oribe doesn’t position itself as a clean beauty brand. While there are no sulfates, parabens, gluten, or sodium chloride in the formulas, some will contain alcohols, silicones, phthalates, preservatives, and synthetic fragrances.
- Free shipping only applies to $100+ orders: You’ll pay a flat $8 fee for shipping on orders under $100 from Oribe’s website (but note that the products are also available in stores). You’ll unlock free shipping on any order over $100, and the brand regularly runs promos to offer free shipping with a smaller purchase or with a promo code.
So, Is Oribe Shampoo Worth the Splurge?
We’ve covered a lot of ground in this review roundup! With all this information in mind, do Oribe shampoo reviews indicate that these are products worth splurging on? We say it’s a definite yes and here’s why.
The overall average rating for Oribe shampoo reviews is an amazing 4.6 out of 5 stars. Not only is a rating average this high relatively unheard of in high-end beauty, it’s a major testament to the quality matching the price tag for these shampoos.
Everyone who uses Oribe knows the shampoo is expensive – they just get results that are so good, they’re more than willing to pay extra for it.
The different shampoo formulas Oribe offers cover a range of hair types and concerns, from dryness and flakes to limp, lifeless hair in need of extra volume or damage repair. We’d challenge anyone to find a hair woe Oribe shampoo doesn’t effectively target and solve.
The alluring citrusy, woodsy scent laced with butterfly jasmine is a favorite feature of Oribe shampoo among all reviewers. We didn’t find anyone who thought the scent was off-putting or too strong.
Everyone seems to agree that Oribe products smell delicious, sexy, and unique. While the price point is high ($15 is the cheapest option you’ll find on the site, and that’s for a smaller travel size bottle), the overall user sentiment is that Oribe shampoo is more than worth it.
Think about it – these women (and a few men, too) could easily buy high-end shampoos that cost a little less if they wanted. Instead, they return to purchase Oribe products again and again because the results are that good.
We think you owe it to yourself to at least give Oribe shampoo a try.
Grab a small travel size bottle and see how you like the scent, what the formula does for your mane, and how long it lasts you (you don’t need to use much, according to reviewers). You just might end up joining the dedicated Oribe tribe yourself!