Looking for hair loss products that work? You’re in luck — we’ll show you products that have been clinically proven to be effective. Save time, money, and get results faster by weeding out the junk.
Disclaimer: The information in this article is not medical advice and is not intended to diagnose or treat any disease. We’re providing unbiased information on hair loss products, but that’s not a substitute for the personalized medical advice you’ll get from your physician.
- Do Hair Loss Products Actually Work?
- Hair Loss Products That Work
- Choosing the Best Hair Loss Product
Which Hair Loss Products Actually Work?
There’s a lot of “snake oil” in the hair loss product industry. Companies know that hair loss is a sensitive and emotionally charged experience for many people.
But many of them create products filled with inactive or unproven ingredients and market them as hair growth supplements. With so many bogus products on the market, finding the hair loss products that work is a little more difficult.
You have to dig through scientific studies, user reviews, before and after results, and ingredient lists. But worry not — we’re dedicated to making all things hair-related easier for our readers, so we’ve done the work for you.
We’ve come up with a list of the hair loss products that work with verifiable, proven results. In fact, there are 5 main hair loss products that have been proven to work in scientific studies and clinical trials.
Hair Loss Products That Work:
If you’re ready to stop losing and start regrowing your hair, one of the supplements or medications on our list is going to be your ticket to tremendous tresses.
Read on to learn about each one, its ingredients, how it works, and how long it takes to see results.
5 Hair Loss Products That Work
While there are plenty of bunk hair loss products on the market, there are a handful of products that really do work. Chances are, you’ve heard about at least one of these products for people experiencing hair loss.
Some are available over the counter as a supplement and others require a prescription. With so much information available online, there’s a lot to sift through.
We’ve tried to simplify it by including all the essential info in one easy to read guide. Among the best hair loss products are Folexin, Minoxidil, Viviscal, Ketoconazole, and Finasteride.
Folexin is a hair health supplement that does not require a prescription (but you should still check with your doctor before you begin taking it).
It contains a variety of all-natural ingredients like herbal extracts, vitamins, and minerals that have been proven to support hair growth, health, and strength.
People take Folexin to slow hair loss, increase or improve the hair growth process, and boost hair health overall. It’s been proven to work in clinical studies.
This supplement can help:
- Nourish existing hair for better health
- Provide essential vitamins and minerals for hair growth
- Correct vitamin or mineral deficiencies that result in hair loss
- Improve the quality and density of hair growth
Folexin is effective because of the active ingredients it contains. They are all proven to contribute to hair growth and overall health. It also contains the unique ingredient fo-ti, a chinese herb that has been shown to bring dormant hair follicles back into production.
- Biotin: Vitamin B7 is one of the most common hair growth supplement ingredients because it is proven to work. Biotin increases hair’s fullness overall, the density of scalp coverage, and perceived hair volume in a relatively short period of 90 days. People with biotin deficiencies are more likely to experience hair loss.
- Folic Acid: Folate (vitamin B9) in the form of folic acid is a powerful hair growth stimulator. The body needs folate to grow healthy hair at a normal rate. People with folate deficiencies commonly experience hair loss and premature graying.
- Iron: Iron is an essential mineral involved in almost every bodily process. Most of the iron in our bodies is found in our red blood cells and muscle cells. Studies have shown that healthy iron levels encourage normal hair growth by providing plenty of oxygen-saturated blood flow to the scalp.
- Fo-Ti Extract: Chinese climbing knotweed, also known as fo-ti, is a common ingredient in Traditional Chinese Medicine. For centuries, it’s been used to restore hair growth, slow graying, and increase scalp coverage. Studies have found that this ingredient alone is as effective as Rogaine (minoxidil).
Folexin reviews are amazingly positive for this type of product. No hair loss product works for everyone, but Folexin has an overall review rating of 4.45 out of 5 stars.
Let’s look at the pros and cons associated with Folexin.
- Proven to be effective in supporting hair growth
- Backed by thousands of positive customer reviews
- May reverse and reduce hair loss
- May stimulate and restore hair growth
- Affordable at as low as $18/bottle
- Not everyone sees results in hair growth or hair loss reduction
- Takes around 3 months to work
- Large pill size can be inconvenient to take
Overall, Folexin is a top-rated hair loss product backed by scientific studies and thousands of positive customer reviews. If you’re experiencing hair loss and want to curb it, this supplement can be very effective. It really does work.
2. Minoxidil (Rogaine)
You may not be familiar with the medication minoxidil, but you probably know it by its brand name: Rogaine. This medication is available over the counter in its topical form (applied to the scalp) or by prescription in its oral form (taken as a pill).
It is intended to treat, not cure, male-pattern baldness (androgenetic alopecia). It helps with thinning hair, but it won’t restore a receding hairline or help hair grow at the front of the scalp.
Most of the studies done on it have centered on how the medication works for men, but it’s also been shown to be effective for women. The science really tells the story of minoxidil’s effectiveness.
There are tons of scientific studies and clinical trials that show how it increases scalp coverage and hair count. The 5% formulation has been shown to be much more effective than the 2% formulation.
One study found that 52% of men taking minoxidil started seeing results (higher hair count and increased scalp coverage) after 2 months, or around 60 days. That’s faster than most supplements and medications on the market.
The key ingredient is, of course, minoxidil. Minoxidil is a vasodilator that originally was prescribed in oral form to treat high blood pressure. But the increased blood flow to the scalp that results could be the reason for its effectiveness in treating certain types of hair loss and thinning.
Minoxidil reviews are overwhelmingly positive from multiple sources. Rogaine, the most well-known minoxidil formulation, has more than 16,800 reviews on Amazon and still holds a 4.3 out of 5 star average.
Reviews on the website for telehealth company Hims total 4.5 out of 5 stars for minoxidil. Next, let’s look at the pros and cons associated with minoxidil.
- No prescription required for topical formula
- Proven effective with more clinical and scientific studies than other hair loss products
- Treats hair loss resulting from androgenetic alopecia (male pattern baldness)
- Is effective in treating hair loss and thinning in women
- Affordable, costing around $15 for a month’s supply
- Application required 2 times/day for effectiveness
- Doesn’t treat receding hairline or thinning at the front of the scalp
- May trigger initial shedding before improvement begins
- Side effects can be problematic
Overall, if a trusted, heavily researched hair loss product is what you’re looking for, minoxidil might be perfect for you. It definitely works, but you have to continue taking it to “keep the gains.”
And as we stated earlier, make sure to talk to your doctor before taking or applying this medication because it can have side effects.
Viviscal is a natural supplement that promotes new hair growth, better overall hair health, and can slow down hair thinning and loss in women and men. It has been proven to increase overall hair count in scientific studies.
There are two formulas of Viviscal available. The original Viviscal is marketed to women and Viviscal Man is marketed to men. The supplement contains familiar ingredients along with a few exotic ingredients that are formulated to support hair growth and health.
There are no medications or drugs in Viviscal. Viviscal is like a multivitamin on steroids – it contains all the vitamins and minerals that are essential for hair growth while adding in some ocean-derived nutrients to support hair health.
Ingredients in Viviscal include:
- AminoMar®: Viviscal’s patented collagen complex includes ocean-derived collagen and the exotic horsetail plant extract for hair growth
- Biotin: Vitamin B7, or biotin, is essential for normal hair growth and helps with protein metabolism and breakdown to ensure amino acids (the building blocks of protein) are available to create new hairs
- Vitamin C: A powerful antioxidant that helps the body better absorb and use iron to grow hair, results in stronger hair with less breakage, and is associated with less hair loss in people with iron deficiencies
- Iron: In combination with vitamin C, iron in the supplement can restore the body’s reserves to help the hair growth process with additional blood flow to the scalp and follicles.
- Zinc: Found in Viviscal Man, zinc is an essential mineral used for cell division in the scalp and follicles for more hair production.
There are pros and cons to using Viviscal for hair loss. Here’s what you should know before considering if it might be right for you.
- No topical formula – take 2 tablets/day
- Proven effective in reducing shedding/thinning and increasing scalp coverage
- Formulas available for men and women
- Excellent reviews averaging 4.5 stars from nearly 12,000 reviews
- Affordable, at as low as $13.33 for a month’s supply
- Results take 3-6 months to see
- Women’s formula doesn’t contain zinc
- Not 100% natural formula, if this is something that matters to you
Overall, Viviscal is one of the top-rated hair loss supplements that you don’t need a prescription to get. It results in more scalp coverage (denser, thicker hair) and increased hair count to make thinning a thing of the past.
It does take a couple of months to work, but it works. You should still talk to your doctor before taking Viviscal to ensure it won’t interact with any of your other medications.
Ketoconazole is an anti-fungal shampoo that is primarily used to treat fungal conditions like dandruff, ringworm, athlete’s foot. But promising studies have found that the 2% ketoconazole shampoo formula is very effective in treating hair loss and thinning.
In one study, patients using ketoconazole shampoo saw an 18% increase in overall hair density, while patients receiving minoxidil treatment only saw an 11% increase in hair density.
Other studies have found that it increases the number of hairs on the scalp and increases the density of hair for more scalp coverage. It might work due to the reduction in DHT, a male sex hormone, production in the body.
DHT is associated with male pattern baldness. In any case, it’s proven to stimulate hair growth and result in less thinning and more density. Ketoconazole shampoos may contain different inactive carrier ingredients.
But ketoconazole is the primary active ingredient in these formulas. It slows and inhibits the growth of fungus on the body and reduces the body’s production of male pattern baldness causing DHT.
Reviews are very positive, but it’s harder to track them because ketoconazole is the generic name for the medication and several companies use it in their products.
It’s also primarily used and prescribed (at higher strengths) for anti-fungal purposes, so not all reviews relate to how effective it is for treating hair loss.
Nizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampoo (1% ketoconazole) seems to be the most popular over the counter formula, and it has an average 4.5 out of 5 stars from reviews across hundreds of websites where it is sold.
Let’s check out the pros and cons associated with using ketoconazole for hair thinning and loss.
- Proven effective to stimulate new hair growth, increase scalp coverage, and slow hair loss in multiple studies and trials
- Improves overall hair health and treats any scalp fungal issues in the process
- Easy to use; replace your shampoo twice a week with this to get results
- Helpful to support treatment of male pattern baldness
- Very affordable, as low as around $10 for a bottle of the medicated 1% shampoo
- May be hard to find – many people order online
- Higher strengths above 1% only available with a prescription
- Results may take 30-60 days to become apparent
- Continued use is required for continued results
Overall, ketoconazole can be a really effective and convenient option to target thinning hair because it’s affordable and available without a prescription.
Most studies have been done on men and how this medicated shampoo affects male pattern baldness. It does work, especially with the 2% prescription strength. It’s worth discussing with your doctor if you think this shampoo might be a good option for you.
5. Finasteride (Propecia)
Finasteride might not sound familiar, but you’ve probably heard of the brand name medication Propecia. Finasteride is the active ingredient in Propecia.
It’s prescribed orally or topically to treat male pattern baldness and hair loss, and studies have backed up its effectiveness in these areas. It is not intended for women or children with hair loss.
Finasteride blocks the body from turning testosterone into the male hormone DHT, which is linked to male pattern baldness. When DHT is in the system, it stops new hair growth at the scalp.
So this medication is used to ensure regular hair growth can occur. It takes around 3 months to see results from finasteride.
Like minoxidil, if you stop taking it, you will likely lose the hairs that grew in while you were using the medication. There are tons of studies that back the effectiveness of finasteride.
Reviews correspond with the effectiveness shown in clinical studies. It has an overall 4.8 out of 5 star rating on Drugs.com. This indicates that users are very satisfied with the results they get when using this medication.
Let’s look at the pros and cons associated with finasteride.
- Proven effective in treating the cause of hair thinning in men and women
- Increases overall hair count and scalp coverage
- Affordable at around $20 for a 3-month prescribed supply ($6.66/month)
- Can be used topically or taken orally for convenience
- Prescription required – not available over the counter
- Only works as long as you’re taking or using the medication
- Fewer studies are available showing effectiveness in women
Overall, finasteride’s effectiveness is well proven with many clinical trials and scientific studies done over the years. It is especially effective in treating male pattern baldness.
The low cost of this medication makes it a great option if you’re not willing to spend a lot of money on a hair loss product. Check with your doctor to see if you might be a good candidate for finasteride.
How to Choose the Best Hair Loss Product
If you’re ready to jumpstart hair growth and reverse the thinning you’re experiencing, it’s time to choose a hair loss product that is backed by science. We’ve looked at the top 5 hair loss products that work:
But which one will be the best choice for you? There are a few factors that come into play here.
- Your needs: Everyone’s needs are different, so consider your own when choosing a hair loss product. If you’re a woman, the top-studied products for hair loss on our list are Folexin and Viviscal. Minoxidil, ketoconazole, and finasteride can also be effective for women, but more studies show how they work on men.
- Dosage requirements: The different products on our list have varying dosages. Some require you to take 2 pills or tablets a day, apply a topical formula once or twice a day, or use a shampoo just twice a week. Review the detailed product info above to find an option that is convenient for you to take – it ensures you won’t miss doses and will get the full effects.
- Budget: Choose something that you can afford to use long-term. Most hair loss products require continual use to treat thinning or slow-growing hair, so choosing one you can afford to buy every month is essential. If the product is a medication that requires a prescription, like finasteride or high-strength forms of ketoconazole, check to see if your insurance might cover it.
- Doctor’s advice: We’ve tried our best to provide accurate information about each one of the hair loss products on our list, but we’re not medical professionals. The best thing you can do is talk to your doctor about your hair thinning and loss. Review any of the products on this list with your doctor to find out which will be the best option for you and your long-term health.
If your hair has been thinning or growing slowly, you can take control by using a proven hair loss product that targets the underlying reason for hair loss.
If you take action now, you can stop hair loss in its tracks, stimulate new and healthy hair growth, and get back to the old you with a fuller, denser head of hair. But don’t waste your time with new and unproven supplements or medications that cause unwanted side effects.
Instead, read our guide, then talk to your doctor about any of the 5 hair loss products we’ve found that actually work and see which one will be the best option for you.