Ready to stop hair loss in its tracks? Hair loss shampoos can be hit or miss, but we’ve done some digging to find which ones really work. See our runner-up pick and the best shampoo for hair loss below.
The Best Shampoo for Hair Loss
What comes to mind when you think of hair loss shampoo? If it’s “snake oil” or something similar, we get it. There’s a sense of skepticism surrounding the hair loss product industry.
Disclaimer: We sourced information from what we consider trustworthy sources, but we are not doctors. Before taking any supplements, we highly suggest consulting your doctor.
That’s because so many high-priced hair loss products have been marketed and pushed over the years – some backed by rigorous scientific testing and others seemingly thrown together with a random assortment of vitamins and fillers.
Being a consumer, a little skepticism is important. It’s hard to tell the difference between the best hair loss shampoos and those that somehow perform worse than a placebo.
How can you determine which shampoos are effective and which ones are defective? It takes a little research – okay, a lot of research.
When we analyze and review any hair loss product, we look at a few important factors:
- Which ingredients are used in the formula?
- What have scientific studies and clinical trials found out about these individual ingredients when used to combat hair loss?
- What have scientific studies and clinical trials found out about this hair loss product’s effectiveness as a whole?
- How do real customers rate and review this product after taking as directed and using it for the recommended amount of time?
You don’t have to do all this research yourself! Instead, take a look at our breakdown of the best shampoos for hair loss on the market right now.
There are two in particular that get the best ratings and have been clinically proven to work. We’ll look at the best hair loss shampoo and the runner-up in this guide.
The Winner: Viviscal Gorgeous Growth Densifying Shampoo
Viviscal Gorgeous Growth Densifying Shampoo is arguably the best hair loss shampoo out there. This shampoo has been independently clinically studied numerous times over the years.
The amazing thing is that those studies and trials have found again and again that Viviscal shampoo is effective. Nine out of 10 users said this shampoo makes hair look thicker and fuller within one week of daily use.
The formula is proprietary, containing Viviscal’s patented Ana:Tel Complex (short for anagen and telogen, two phases in the body’s hair growth cycle).
Viviscal shampoo is gentle enough for daily use and gets excellent user reviews. Let’s look at the ingredients, reviews, and pricing to better understand how this shampoo works.
- Ana:Tel Complex: This patented complex is only found in Viviscal products and contains 3 of the most common hair growth-enhancing ingredients – hydrolyzed keratin, biotin, and zinc. Learn more about each of these ingredients below.
- Hydrolyzed Keratin: Keratin is the protein that makes up hair, and to make it, your body needs the right amino acids. Hydrolyzed keratin is already broken down into individual amino acids so the body can easily use them for hair synthesis right away instead of waiting to break down a complete protein.
- Biotin: This is an essential B-vitamin (B7) required for normal hair growth. Biotin is an important component of the body’s protein metabolism (the breakdown of proteins so their amino acids can be used for hair growth and strengthening).
- Zinc: This essential mineral is used in cell division as hair growth increases. It’s a common ingredient in hair growth supplements and shampoos. It also has dandruff-fighting properties!
Viviscal Shampoo Reviews
Viviscal Gorgeous Growth Densifying shampoo has an overall rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars. We found reviews for this product on the Viviscal website, Amazon product pages, Walmart product pages, and Google reviews.
The best reviews for Viviscal shampoo (4.5 stars) were on Amazon, not the Viviscal website. This is a good sign that these reviews are legitimate.
Here’s how Viviscal reviews break down:
- Website: 4.3 stars with 352 ratings
- Google: 4.1 stars with 1,474 ratings
- Amazon: 4.5 stars with 1,266 ratings
- Walmart: 4.4 stars with 43 ratings
These ratings are excellent for any hair loss product because consumers tend to review these a little more harshly. In general, we consider any rating over four stars to be great for a hair loss shampoo or supplement, and any rating over 4.3 stars is considered excellent.
Viviscal Shampoo Pricing
Viviscal shampoo is priced very fairly and is the most affordable hair loss shampoo on our list. At around $10 per bottle plus shipping, this is an option that most people can guilt-free and comfortably fit into their monthly budget.
Viviscal also offers a 90-day money-back guarantee. If you buy the Gorgeous Growth Densifying shampoo and don’t see the results you expected in 3 months or so, you can get your money (including shipping and handling charges you paid) back.
- $9.99/bottle + shipping costs
- 90-day money-back guarantee
The Runner Up: Revita High-Performance Hair Stimulating Shampoo
Revita High-Performance Hair Stimulating Shampoo is a shampoo that targets the effects of hair loss by increasing the speed of hair growth, reducing shedding and hair loss, and improving hair’s appearance to look fuller and thicker.
It’s backed by clinical studies on both the individual ingredients as well as the complete product. When participants used this shampoo every day for 90 days:
- 92% saw reduced hair loss and increased hair growth
- 85% believed the overall appearance of their hair improved
- 70% experienced faster hair growth than usual
These results are tough to argue with! That’s why we’re considering Revita High-Performance Hair Stimulating shampoo to be one of the best options if you’re experiencing hair loss. Let’s take a look at the ingredients it contains and why it seems to work so well.
- Biotin: You’ll find the B7 vitamin biotin in most shampoos for hair loss because it is required in the body’s hair growth process. Biotin is a hair strengthener that reduces shedding and breakage.
- Amino Acids: Revita shampoo contains amino acids like taurine, cysteine, l-ornithine, and l-arginine to ensure the body has all the needed building blocks for keratin, the protein hair is made of.
- Apple Extract (Procyanidin B2): This plant-based antioxidant has some impressive results from clinical studies: 80% increase in hair diameter and overall hair count increase for denser hair.
- Caffeine: Caffeine is a stimulant shown to improve scalp circulation, extend the natural hair growth phase, and reverse the hair loss effects of DHT in men with male pattern baldness
- Ketoconazole: This is an antifungal substance that reduces the body’s production of DHT (which is associated with male pattern baldness). Reducing irritation of the scalp and treating any existing fungal infections can slow the effects of male and female pattern baldness.
These ingredients are wrapped up and encapsulated in Revita’s Advanced Nanosome Delivery System so they can be slow-released for better results.
Revita Shampoo Reviews
Revita shampoo has an overall average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars. This rating takes more than 5,955 current customer reviews for Revita shampoo into account. Here’s how Revita shampoo reviews break down:
- Website: 4.7 stars with 2,147 ratings
- Amazon: 4.2 stars with 1,128 ratings
- Google: 4.3 stars with 2,680 reviews
The best reviews for Revita shampoo are by far on their website, which looks a little suspicious. But it could be due to more users buying directly from the website than from Amazon. If you take the website reviews out of the equation, the review average is 4.2 stars.
Revita Shampoo Pricing
Revita shampoo is one of the best hair loss shampoos, so we understand why it’s not exactly cheap at $32.00 per bottle. Still, it’s more expensive than a few of the other proven-effective hair loss shampoos on our list.
If you can fit it into your budget, it may well be worth the cost, thanks to the thicker, longer, stronger hair you’ll have. But if you’re trying to keep your hair growth journey as inexpensive as possible, you’ll probably want to pass on Revita and opt for the better-reviewed Viviscal Gorgeous Growth Densifying shampoo instead.
- $32.00/bottle + shipping costs
- Get 20% off and free shipping with Subscribe and Save ($25.60/bottle)
You can’t return Revita shampoo once it’s been opened and used. Revita accepts returns of unopened, unused product within seven days of purchase, and you’ll have to pay for the return shipping and handling.
Which Hair Loss Shampoo Is Best?
While there are dozens of hair loss shampoos on the market right now, two stand out above the rest. Viviscal Gorgeous Growth Densifying Shampoo and Revita High-Performance Hair Stimulating Shampoo are two options you can’t go wrong with.
But which one will work best for you?
Either one will help enhance your body’s natural hair growth process, increase how thick your hair looks, and cleanse your hair while providing essential vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that can be used to strengthen and increase hair growth.
But Viviscal has the edge here with better results in clinical trials and scientific studies. The best Viviscal shampoo reviews are on third-party websites like Amazon and Walmart.
This means that these are honest reviews, and aren’t cherry-picked by the company to make the product appear better. It’s also considerably cheaper than Revita shampoo and comes with a 90-day money-back guarantee.
We’d recommend Viviscal hair loss shampoo to anyone dealing with thinning hair, trying to avoid age-related thinning, or managing damaged, brittle hair. It’s the best hair loss shampoo we’ve found, and the price is incredible.
We’d recommend Revita hair loss shampoo to anyone who wants hair that appears fuller and thicker, and it’s a great option for post-op patients who want to stimulate new hair growth after hair transplants.
Keep the higher price in mind, though – paying $32.00 + shipping is a lot more expensive than $9.99 + shipping. Which hair loss shampoo are you going to try? Don’t forget to follow the usage instructions exactly and give the product enough time to work.
In general, you’ll need to use any hair growth enhancing product for at least 2-3 months to see results due to the time it takes the body to go through the hair growth cycle.